HomeHealthy RecipesBesan Chilla – look no further for a delicious high protein and gluten free breakfast recipe
Besan Chilla – look no further for a delicious high protein and gluten free breakfast recipe
August 4, 2022
Dubai: Desperate for a quick and healthy breakfast option that won’t punish your taste buds? Indian Besan Chilla is the answer.
The chilla is an Indian pancake made with various cereal flours or lentils that can be salty or sweet. So all you need is a quick batter to whip up and you’re ready for a delicious hot breakfast.
Besan is chickpea or garbanzo bean flour, with a glycemic index (GI) of 6, making it one of the healthiest options for diabetics and those looking to restrict calories. It is full of good fats that help increase the good cholesterol in your body. Without forgetting its high ratio of vegetable protein. Therefore, it is known as ‘heart healthy’ food in India.
A full grown-up breakfast would really work with a ‘superhero meal’ in your child’s tiffin box too.
Besan chilla is a savory pancake that can be eaten crunchy or soft, much like Mexican tacos. It depends on the consistency of the prepared dough. If you want a soft chilla, prepare a thick dough. For a crispy chila, choose a thinner dough, which still coats the back of the spoon with a layer when poured.
You can make it healthier by adding a vegetable of your choice, cut to the size of mirepoix, such as carrot, onion, pepper, chopped fenugreek, coriander or spring onion, to enhance its flavor. Add some chili flakes and black pepper to increase the heat.
The beauty of a chilla is that you can add elements to it according to your taste preference.
Some nutritionists advise adding oatmeal to the dough or some sprouts, all of which ensure an energetic start to the day without a large portion of calories.
If you want to prepare besan chillas quickly and tasty, here is a recipe:
Chilla Besan Homemade
Preparation time: 15 minutes
¼ bell pepper, cut to mirepoix size
¼ carrot, cut to mirepoix size
1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
3 teaspoons olive oil or any vegetable oil
Water (according to the desired consistency of the dough)
¼ teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
¼ teaspoon black pepper (optional)
1. Chop the vegetables into a small size to make sure the batter is evenly distributed in the pan.
2. Add the vegetables to the chickpea flour.
3. Combine then add salt, chili flakes, black pepper, carom seeds and water. Mix well.
4. Keep the batter consistency as per your requirements: thicker will give you soft pancakes, thinner it will be more like crispy crepe.
5. Carom seeds aid in digestion and impart a unique flavor, but if they are not available, you can substitute cumin seeds at any time, to the same extent, as they also have their own flavor.
6. Continue beating until batter is smooth and lump-free.
7. Heat a skillet over low or medium-low heat; spread olive oil over it.
8. Gently spread a ladleful of batter over the pan.
9. Cook over medium-low heat until cooked through and light golden in color.
10. Add about ½ tablespoon of oil to the edges, as this helps keep the chili from sticking to the pan.
11. Gently flip the chili over and continue cooking until the edges crisp up.
Now, it’s ready to be served hot, with ketchup.
– The writer is a housewife based in the United Arab Emirates.
Do you have a quick and healthy recipe that you would like us to show you? Write us at [email protected]