By Julia Barton DIGITAL PRODUCER
I often feel hungry returning to camp after a long day outdoors, like I could eat anything and everything. Camping classics like bagels, hot dogs, fries, and s’mores can be delicious, but they don’t always make my body feel better afterward. In an attempt to find something tasty and invigorating, I came up with a camping recipe for a filling power bowl packed with healthy protein.
This hot pot of sweet potato and chicken with miso sauce and other veggies tastes like it’ll set you back $20 on a brown bougie, but it’s easy and inexpensive to make at camp. The recipe adapts to the flavors you prefer and can be easily made vegetarian. I added chicken here for extra protein, but that can be substituted with another protein or eliminated altogether if you don’t like bringing raw meat to camp.
I usually make the miso sauce at home before I go to camp and keep it in my cooler to make things easier. This recipe is easier to make on a two-burner camp stove rather than a backpacking stove, but it can certainly be made on either.
The following ingredients will feed three or four people, depending on how ravenous they are.
4 tablespoons of miso paste
2 tablespoons of tahini
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons of sesame seeds
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1-2 lemon slices
9-ounce packet of instant rice (can be any kind of rice; I like to use a mix of brown rice and quinoa. If you don’t bring these packets with you camping, you’re missing out.)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1 bell pepper, chopped
½ red onion, minced
1 avocado, mashed
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet and cook chicken until lightly browned and cooked through, stirring frequently; remove chicken from skillet and set aside in your dining kit.
- Add the chopped bell pepper and red onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes; Add chicken back to skillet and remove from heat. Lid to keep warm.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook cubed sweet potatoes until tender, about 12 minutes; Remove from heat and reserve in a pan with other vegetables and chicken.
- Heat packet of instant rice with a splash of water in skillet over medium heat until warm, about 3 minutes.
- Scoop out rice in your dining kit, add chicken and veggies, top with mashed avocado and a healthy drizzle of miso sauce. Serve and enjoy!