Healthy and delicious recipes with chia seeds to accelerate weight loss
August 1, 2022
One of today’s tiniest and trendiest superfoods, chia seeds are a popular addition to the diets of wellness-conscious individuals. The seeds of the flowering plant Salvia hispanica, chia seeds, are high in fiber and protein, low in calories, and packed with a variety of nutrients, making them a perfect food for weight loss. They are also amazing for your heart and keep your blood sugar levels in check. Among the best ways to add them to your food is in smoothies, salads, bread, oatmeal, pudding, beverages, baked goods so you can meld flavor with nutrition. (Also read: Healthy breakfast recipes that will help boost brain power)
“The tiny, tiny black/white chia seeds are highly nutritious and an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, calcium, phosphorus and zinc. Although they come in different varieties, their nutritional content is the same. Combined With a balanced and nutritious diet, the fiber and protein content in chia seeds also help benefit people who are on their weight loss journey,” says Manpreet Kaur Paul, Executive Nutritionist, Cloudnine Hospital Group, Faridabad .
The nutritionist explains how the soluble fiber present in chia seeds has the property of absorbing water and swelling, thus forming a thick gel that helps slow the transit time through the digestive tract when consumed. Both the fiber and protein content in chia seeds take longer to move through the digestive tract and make you feel full for a long period of time.
Here are some healthy and tasty chia seed recipes suggested by Manpreet Kaur Paul.
1. Chia Tutti Frutti Salad
– 1- 2 teaspoons of powdered brown sugar
– Cut almonds and pistachios (5 each)
– Kiwi, pomegranate, papaya- 1 cup (100 grams)
For the chia seed mix:
-1 cup of cold almond milk (200 ml)
-2 tablespoons chia seeds (soaked)
-1 tablespoon of honey
-1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
• In a nonstick skillet, add powdered brown sugar and a little water to caramelize the sugar. Now you can add nuts to it.
• For the chia seed mix, take 1 cup of cold almond milk, add the chia seeds and mix well. Then add honey and some cinnamon powder for a sweet taste.
• You can now continue adding a layer of fruit alternating with a layer of chia seed mix in a smoothie cup
• Finally, top this with a layer of walnuts and your chia tutti frutti salad is ready to serve.
2. Spinach tortilla with chia
• 3 egg whites
• 2 teaspoons of oil
• 2 teaspoons of chia seeds
• 1.5 cup chopped spinach
• 1 cup of chopped tomato and onion
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• In a bowl, beat the eggs well, then add a little salt and black pepper.
• Add chopped spinach, chia seeds, tomatoes, and onion to egg mixture.
• Now heat a frying pan and add a little oil. Add the egg mixture and cook over medium heat.
• Fold the tortilla and turn off the heat.
• This option goes well with multigrain toast.
3. Chia Rice Cooker
• 1 cup of quinoa, washed and rinsed properly
• 2 teaspoons chia seeds (washed and rinsed)
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• 1 chopped carrot
• 1 green bell pepper sliced
• 1 tablespoon of oil
• 2-3 green chillies
• 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
• 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
• Preheat the pan and add oil. Now add the onion and cumin seeds and sauté until the onions turn slightly brown.
• Add all the chopped vegetables, add salt and sauté for a few minutes
• Lastly, add the quinoa and the washed and rinsed chia seeds and mix well. Now add green chillies, turmeric powder and mix well.
• Keep stirring the mixture by adding 2.5 cups of water. Bring to a boil and cover and cook until fully done.
• Serve hot squeezing a little lemon juice.
4. Chia Delight Jam
• Strawberry and kiwi- 2 cups (chopped)
• Chia seeds- 2 tablespoons
• Mint leaves: a few
• Maple syrup- 1 tablespoon
• Heat strawberry and kiwi over medium heat until soft, dissolved and juicy.
• Remove from heat and add chia seeds along with some mint leaves and maple syrup
• Transfer the mixture to a jar and allow it to cool and set
• Keep this jam refrigerated.
5. Chia Energy Bites
• Toasted oatmeal- 1 cup
• Chia seeds- 2 tablespoons
• Honey- 1/4 cup
• Pumpkin seeds- 1 tablespoon
• Peanut butter- 1/4 cup
• Elachi powder – 2 teaspoons
• Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl.
• You can shape these energy bites into bars or aladoo.
• Refrigerate them for at least 30 minutes.
• You can also sprinkle some dried coconut flakes on top of these energy snacks before serving.